March 6, 2022
9:00 am - 11:00 am
Conduct a public cleanup at Moss Landing Wildlife Area! Help keep this critical ecosystem litter-free! Please meet volunteers in the parking area at the beginning of the trail to the observation decks. There are limited parking spots right there in the small dirt lot. Additional metered parking (pay-to-park) is located across the street in the lot near the public boat launch. There is a public restroom in the parking lot, but no drinking fountains on site so please plan accordingly. Use extreme caution while crossing Highway 1 to get to the meet up location. If there are no spots available in the dirt lot next to the meet up spot, we recommend pulling over there and unloading the supplies before parking in the public harbor lot.
The main areas for this cleanup are the parking area and the trails surrounding the observation decks and the salt ponds. Volunteers can clean up in the pickleweed if it is dry enough and a low enough tide (rain boots are recommended as it’s very muddy!). Folks in the pickleweed should disperse to different areas to reduce impact (ie. do not all walk in the same path and trample the plants). Some volunteers may be interested in cleaning along the roadside, however, Highway 1 is a very busy and dangerous highway. Please ask volunteers to wear safety vests and proceed with extreme caution if they wish to go along the road. No children should clean along the road.
Low Tide: .79ft @ 7:04 am
High Tide: 3.55ft @ 1:04 pm
Please be sure to:
- Ensure that all participants sign an SOS volunteer waiver and submit to SOS staff after the cleanup. Anyone under the age of 18 will require a parent or guardians signature and must have adult supervision throughout the event.
- Encourage participants to collect data by using the free Save Our Shores Marine Tally App (Apple, Google) or by using a data card and filling out this form.
- Please remain at or near the check-in table for the duration of the event to welcome any late-comers or to welcome back folks who finish early.
- Complete an Event Report Back form and send to Emily after.
- Record your hours.
- Return your supplies to the office ASAP and clean your buckets.